Squatting at the smith machine ensures good posture, a properly placed motion, in the same axis throughout the effort, and it will prevent injuries.
The machine assist will teach you to do hip flexion to help you understand the movement of the squat. We recommend it for all beginners.
The effectiveness of the squat is not to be dismantled, it is a major exercise that allows you to strengthen the lower limbs optimally.
Here we will focus on the glutes.
Like all bodybuilding exercises, it is important to optimize your diet plan.
Here is how to perform the Smith squat
- 1. Plan a load on the bar. When standing, place your shoulders under the bar. It is based on the fleshy part of the shoulders or on the upper back. Have your knees slightly bent and your feet are hip-width apart or wider depending on how you feel. Your feet are advanced in relation to the bar (see video). Here is the starting position.
- 2. Grip the supine bar (palm of hands up). Climb on tiptoe, lift the bar to remove safety if there is one.
- 3. Slowly bend your knees without moving them forward to lower your body, tilt your pelvis to push your buttocks backwards. The hips also go backwards to accompany the movement.
- 4. Then go down according to your flexibility. Once down, go back by contracting strongly the glutes and pushing in your legs and your heels.
- 5. Reassemble, letting the machine guide you, extend your legs to return to an initial position.
- 6. Continue your series by repeating the movement.
Here are tips, advice and techniques to go further on Smith squat
- 1. Press in the heels that are placed under the bar.
- 2. Do not bend your back, keep it straight, you can lean it slightly to help move.
- 3. The knees and toes go out on the descent (if there is a lack of flexibility in the hips).
- 4. Do not place the bar on your neck.
- 5. Do not go down too far to plan the ascent.
- 6. When going up, you can direct your gaze upward without moving your neck.
- 7. To perform the movement well, imagine sitting on a chair.
- 8. Thumbs surround the bar for your safety.
- 9. To accentuate the contraction of the glutes, keep the glutes backwards and move the feet further.