Focus on high intensity training (HIIT)
Benefits of this type of workout, examples of exercises for your high intensity training and tips for doing them well.
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), or high intensity interval training, has become in recent years a trendy training protocol in the field of sport without equipment. A sporting phenomenon which is becoming more and more important and which is attracting more and more athletes with its many advantages.
HIIT is one of the most intensive physical activities to work on your cardio but also your muscles. Whether you want to lose fat or make an intense effort to improve your cardio, this form of interval training is for you.
Zoom on the various advantages of this sports training by intervals combining cardio exercises and muscular exercises for intensive training. Follow our advice to work out hard! Let’s go! 💪
Fitness and sport activity: what is high intensity training?
It was in 1996, thanks to a study conducted by Professor Izumi Tabata, that HIIT began to gain interest in the eyes of the sports community. In his study of the "effects of moderate-intensity endurance and HIIT on anaerobic capacity and VO2max," the professor makes a startling revelation. It shows that high intensity training is more effective than moderate exercise in developing cardiovascular capacity and burning fat.
Several types of protocol to burn calories quickly
This type of sports training comes in several sports protocols, but here are the two most famous:
- Tabata protocol which consists of a series of four-minute workouts. You do 8 cycles of 20 seconds of high intensity effort, and 10 seconds of recovery between each cycle. This is a super intensive version of HIIT, you'll have to hang in there if you're a beginner!
- Little Protocol: method rather focused on the contrary on long training sessions lasting between 20 and 30 minutes, with the aim of toning your athletic figure. This interval training consists of 12 cycles with periods of high intensity (60 seconds) and low intensity (75 seconds).
How is a high intensity workout organized?
Whether you are new to sports, or you are an experienced athlete, a high intensity training session does not happen in a hurry, on the contrary!
- Don't neglect your warm-up. It is indeed essential to warm up the different muscle groups that you will be working before starting your session so as not to injure yourself.
- One thing to know before you start: HIIT training can be modified and suitable for all types of athletes, of all levels. Loss of fat, increase in your endurance or muscle building, HIIT is a physical activity that will meet your sporting goals. You can both customize the exercises and the length of their intervals, as well as their intensity.
- Recovery time (or rest time) is also essential for a good HIIT session. Never neglect this recovery period! If you don't rest between intervals, it just isn't HIIT. Without recovery, your body cannot recover from more intense work. Consequence: you will not be able to maintain a high intensity level throughout the session, which will degrade the quality of your interval training and thus reduce the beneficial effects on your body. Doing interval training is serious!
- One thing to take into account when going for an interval workout is the intensity of the work. To calculate it, it must be around 80% of your maximum heart rate. How do you know when you reach that limit? You should have a hard time having a conversation when you're working out so intensely.
What are the benefits of high intensity trainin
- This type of interval training will improve your physical performance: better resistance to effort, more cardio-respiratory capacity ... but not only. On a daily basis, you will feel a real change in your body. Overall, you'll be in better shape, whether it's running easily to catch up with your bus in the morning, or when you wander around and easily climb the stairs in your dreaded workplace.
- HIIT training has many benefits for your metabolism. In particular, it improves your aerobic and anaerobic capacities ... quesako? Your muscles use glucose in two ways: aerobically, that is, when they are oxygenated, or anaerobic, without oxygen. This type of intensive training program also improves your blood pressure, cardiovascular health, and cholesterol levels.
- For anyone following a weight loss program or mass gain program, this type of sports training is for you. Indeed, HIIT accelerates fat loss, which means that you will burn the fat that is stored in your body. You will quickly melt with this type of interval training
- Save time: The very format of HIIT saves you time. The workout are very short and intense, ideal for people who want to lose weight or improve their cardio but have little time to devote to sport, and want quick results.
- The after burn effect is a phenomenon where you continue to burn calories after high intensity training. The intensity of this afterburning effect depends on the intensity of the training. And, what could be better than HIIT for maintaining the intensity of your exercise and losing the maximum amount of calories?
HIIT, scientifically proven sports training
In 1994, Dr. Tremblay's study highlighted the positive influence of HIIT on weight loss in athletes. According to this scientific study, a 15-week high-intensity interval training program results in nine times more fat loss than more traditional 20-week endurance training. Going flat stomach, you will lose weight much faster with this type of sports training.
In 2012, Australian scientists carried out a study on the “effects of HIIT on the body composition of young overweight men”. Scientists confirm the positive influence of intensive interval sports training on respiratory endurance capacities, results already demonstrated by Professor Tabata. It also proves that HIIT sessions increase your body's basal metabolism. And, several hours after your sports session with intense physical exercises. Basically, you continue to melt even when you rest from your favorite series after an intensive session!
High intensity training, various exercises outdoors or at home
With Featness, you can practice your high-intensity workout wherever you want, whether it's in your living room or at the gym. Then follow our different exercises or our personalized six-week program. Or, you can practice some simple exercises to perform, and which require little sports equipment.
Some types of exercises:
- Burpees: bend your knees, lean forward and put your hands on the floor, jump with your feet together back and then reposition yourself as you started. Stand up and jump. This exercise works the whole body, you'll see, it's very effective!
- Individual pull ups: Standing with the weights in front of you on the floor, you will do a squat, pick up the weight with one hand and push it upwards to above your chest. The elbow should always be above the wrist, so the muscles are working, but your wrist is not.
- Strike with weights: Standing, with a weight in each hand, you will hit alternately forward and to the left. A word of advice, practice this exercise in front of a mirror so that you maintain an upright posture.
High intensity training, if you practice it diligently, will bring you mind-blowing results rather quickly. However, this type of exercise carries a greater risk of musculoskeletal injury than fitness or fitness. To be accompanied in complete safety, why not get coached by Featness, your slimming partner? 👇
Publié le 11/10/2021